Red Beans and Sausage with Rice
One of my favorite meals that remind me of home, family, and love. Creamy red beans with a bit of spice that can only have been created in a tiny Kitchen in New Orleans.
Prep Time3 hrs
Cook Time3 hrs
- 3 cups of Camelia red beans
- 16 cups water divided (8 cups for initial cooking, 4 cups to be added after an hour of cooking)
- 3 links cajun sausage
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1 whole jalapeno seeded and chopped
- 1 whole red bell pepper seeded and chopped
- 2 shoots green onion chopped
- 2 stalks celery chopped
- 4 cloves garlic crushed
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley chopped
- 3 tbsp Tony Chachere's Creole Seasoning
- 2 tbsp onion powder
- 2 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 1/2 tsp cayenne powder or to taste
- 2 leaves bay leaf
- salt and pepper to taste
Rinse the red beans
Allow red beans to soak in water for 2 hours or overnight
Drain red beans, add 8 cups of water and cook on medium high heat for 1 hour
After the hour has passed, add onion, jalapeño, red bell pepper, celery, garlic, and green onion.
You will need to add another 4 cups of water as the beans have absorbed the water and your do not want them to stick.
Cook for 30 minutes on medium heat.
While beans are cooking with the vegetables, cook down sausage in a skillet for 5-8 minutes.
Drain sausage and add to pot of red beans.
Add spices (Tony Chachere's Creole Seasoning, onion powder, garlic powder, salt, pepper, cayenne pepper) and stir.
Cook for another 30 minutes.
Serve with Rice and enjoy!