There are times that I get a taste in my mouth that can only be remedied by getting in the kitchen and cooking. It is my belief that the best cooking is rooted in making the ingredients that you have come to life and taste like something that people want to eat. This sweet potato and red pepper hash came through for the win!
How to Make Sweet Potato Hash in Cast Iron Skillet
Cooking in a cast iron skillet makes me happy. I love how well the food cooks and the ability to transfer iron from my skillet to my food. Make sure that when cooking with a cast iron skillet that you heat the skillet first. You do not want to add food to a cold skillet. The cast iron should be ready to go as soon as the food touches it.
When cooking with vegetables that will not remain whole, it is important to cut the vegetables to be the same size. Now, my cutting skills aren’t perfect but as you can see my sweet potatoes, red pepper, and even my onion are similarly sized. The reason for this is that you want to ensure that all pieces finish cooking at the same time.
Sweet Potato and Red Pepper Hash Recipe
- 4 sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 sweet onion, chopped
- 2 springs of thyme (more for garnishing if you choose)
- 3 tbsp of grapeseed oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- (Tony Chachere's if you feel like having a little spice)
- Heat your skillet to medium. Once the skillet is hot add the oil.
- Put the sweet potatoes int the skillet allowing them to cook on one side undisturbed for 4-5 minutes.
- Toss the sweet potatoes to allow the other sides to cook for about 4-5 minutes.
- You want to toss again and allow the sweet potatoes to cook for an additional 2 minutes.
- Add the pepper, onion and thyme. Cook for an additional 5-6 minutes.
- Season to taste.
- When the sweet potatoes are fork tender and onions are translucent turn off and serve.
Check Out My Video for Red Beans and Rice with Sausage
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 228Total Fat: 10gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 122mgCarbohydrates: 32gFiber: 5gSugar: 13gProtein: 3g
What to Serve with this Dish?
One of my favorite things to eat with the sweet potato and red pepper hash is my maple ginger and garlic salmon and a fried egg. Another option would be to place a poached egg on top with a spicy aji verde sauce. Do you have any favorite things that you like to eat with your hash?