Let me say this, sometimes I feel like razzling and dazzling in the kitchen.Then there are times when I just want to do a quick hit mission. Get in and get out. For those times, I have this really tasty go to meal. It’s a quick and easy Cajun Chicken and Rice recipe that my entire family really enjoys. It has got the “give me some more” type of vibe. It is definitely a different way to have your chicken, like the Peruvian Chicken with Aji Verde Sauce.
How to Make Cajun Chicken and Rice
What essentially makes this a quick and easy cajun chicken and rice dish is having all food in place prior to cooking. Remember back in the day when your mom would have to pull out the chicken in the morning so it could thaw all day on the counter? You have to have the food ready for you when you are ready to cook. The biggest thing that makes this dish quick and easy to make is to have: the spices pre-measured, onions, peppers, parsley chopped; and the meat thawed. Seasoning the meat takes no time.
What to Serve with This Chicken and Rice Dish
Cajun chicken and rice can be served all by itself and make a great meal. If you would like to have a more balanced meal, there are a few options that will do. Broccoli, creamed corn, green beans, fried cabbage, and even cornbread will go just nicely with this dish. I will have recipes for these meals on this site soon.
- 4 boneless chicken thighs, skin on
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp lemon pepper
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tbsp oil (grapeseed, canola, sunflower)
- 1 tsp Tony Chachere's (or some other cajun seasoning)
- 1 half or red and yellow pepper, chopped
- 1 half of yellow onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup of fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 cup of rice
- 2 1/2 cups of chicken broth
- Season the chicken thighs with salt, black pepper, paprika, lemon pepper, garlic powder, and Tony Chachere's seasoning. Make sure that all of the chicken is coated evenly.
- Heat skillet on medium and allow for the pan to get hot. Once the pan is hot add the oil.
- Place the chicken thighs skin downand let it cook for 5-7 minutes per side.
- Once the chicken is cooked, remove and add the peppers, onions, and parsley. Cook for 3-5 minutes.
- Once the peppers, onions, and parley is cooked down, add the rice and cook for and additional 3-5 minutes.
- At this point, the rice should be completely coated with the oil and sticky. Add the chicken broth.
- Allow the contents of the skillet to come to a boil. Then turn the stove down to medium/low and allow to simmer. Add the chicken thighs back to the pan and cover.
- Cook for about 20 minutes. Check every 5 minutes to stir.
- Once the rice is cooked, plate and enjoy!
If the rice is still hard and there is no more water in the pan, it means the heat of the skillet was too high. Turn the heat down and add a little bit of water and stir.
When I say a little bit, I mean about 1/4 cup of water.
To make this dish even quicker, use a rotisserie chicken. Just skip right to step 4, add some oil to the pan, and get going!
Check Out My Latest Video
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 343Total Fat: 16gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 12gCholesterol: 140mgSodium: 1587mgCarbohydrates: 20gFiber: 2gSugar: 2gProtein: 31g
I hope that you will enjoy this dish as much as my family has! If you have any questions, please feel free to leave a comment below! Looking for some Social Media meal inspiration? Check out my Instagram page!