When the weekend hits, I am so ready to get into the kitchen and create some new recipes. All though I would love for all of my recipes to include butter, sugar, and flour, I do not eat like that all the time. It is very important to me that I provide my family with healthy snacks to eat on throughout the day. This cranberry pear granola was a compilation of some basic pantry ingredients that I had on my shelf. Oatmeal, dried fruit and nuts of my choice are the basis for any great granola recipe.
How to Make It
What makes this recipe so great is that anyone can make it, the ingredients are not hard to gather, and you can make as much or as little as you desire. I start off with a large bowl and begin adding my dry ingredients: oatmeal, almonds, walnuts, dried cranberries, dried pears, cinnamon, and sprinkle of sea salt.
Once all the ingredients are in the bowl, you want to toss them around so that they are mixed well. You want it so mixed that every spoonful will have a bit every ingredient. In my opinion, this is what makes an amazing granola. But hey! That’s me.
Now you mix all of the remaining ingredients in a pot on low heat. You want to cook it long enough for the sugar to dissolve, so not very long. Once that is done, you pour the wet mixture into the dry mixture and stir until everything is evenly coated.
I use a jelly roll pan or what I like to call “my cookie sheet.” I line it with non stick foil and smooth out the granola mixture because you want it to brown evenly. It should look a little something like thiiiiiisssss.
I bake the granola on 350 degrees for about 40 mins. Every ten minutes I stir it around on the pan until finished. I do this to achieve an even brown throughout the granola. When its done, it won’t be the crunchy granola we are used to, but still a bit soft. I let it cool for about 15 minutes and put it into my container of choice. Then, I crunch away.
Pear and Cranberry Granola RecipePrint
A yummy breakfast treat or midday snack. This granola recipe is healthy, delicious and satisfying.
- 3 cups of oatmeal
- ¾ cup of dried cranberries
- ¾ cup of chopped dried pears
- ½ cup of chopped almonds
- ½ cup of chopped walnuts
- 2 tsp of cinnamon
- pinch of salt
- ¼ cup of butter
- ¼ cup of canola or coconut oil
- ⅓ cup of brown sugar
- ⅛ teaspoon almond extract
- Combine oatmeal, cranberries, pears, almonds, walnuts, cinnamon, and salt in a large bowl and mix together.
- In a small sauce pan heat butter, oil, and sugar on low heat until sugar is dissolved.
- Add almond extract to sauce pan and remove from heat.
- Pour wet mixture into bowl with dry ingredients until dry mixture is coated.
- Pour granola onto a foil lined jelly roll pan and smooth out.
- Bake at 350 degrees stirring every 10 minutes for forty minutes
- Take out of oven and allow to cool for 15 minutes.
- Serve, store, enjoy!
Check out more Breakfast recipes here.