There is nothing that pleases my soul more than eating delicious and filling food. These jalapeno cheddar grits definitely hit the spot. Since I was young, I have had a tendency to show my love through my food. With Father’s Day around the corner, it is my intention to make my husband feel just that: loved. I am also throwing in a little appreciation in there.
How to Make Cheddar Grits
When making jalapeno cheddar grits, I always start with boiling the water and adding chopped jalapeños. You can even add chopped garlic for added flavors. Adding the peppers and garlic while the waters boiling infuses the water that the grits will be cooking in. Boiling in the water before adding the grits, takes some of the heat out and allows them to soften.
When using instant grits, I follow the measurements for the water and grits but I do not follow the cook time. To be creamy, grits have to cook for at least 30 minutes even if the package says they can be done in 5. At the end of cooking for thirty minutes, I add cream and the shredded cheese. This makes it gooey and scrumptious. The cream and cheese do not need to cook for long. Just add it to the grits, stir, and remove from the heat.
Here’s the Recipe
- 4 cups of water
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 jalapeños, seeded and chopped
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 1 cup of grits
- 1/2 cup of shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/3 cup of heavy whipping cream
- 1 tsp of pepper
- 1 tsp of garlic powder
- 1 tbsp of butter, if you like
- Add water, salt, jalapenos, and garlic to pot and bring to a boil.
- Pour in grits and whisk until there are no clumps.
- Reduce heat to medium low and allow to simmer. Stir every 5 minutes.
- After 15 minutes, turn the heat to low and cover the grits. Continue to stir every 5 minutes for 15 additional minutes.
- Once the grits are done, add pepper, garlic powder and salt to taste.
- Pour in cream and add cheese and stir.
- Serve and Enjoy.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 169Total Fat: 12gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 36mgSodium: 690mgCarbohydrates: 11gFiber: 1gSugar: 1gProtein: 5g
As always I do hope that you enjoy this recipe. Grits have been a dish that has taken me a while to master and to develop the perfect creaminess. It’s a labor love to get the desired consistency. Take your time, turn on some music, and allow all of these wonderful flavors to meld together. You will be so glad that you did. Thanks for stopping by and remember to:
Paint your palate with the tastes that bring you joy.